Sunday 9 October 2011

Fashion Weeks Pt. 1: New York, London, Milan

During September, as the female masses were being fed fashion trends for Fall 2011, fashion's elite gathered from week to week in the city's of New York, London, Milan and Paris as designers showcased their ready-to-wear spring/summer fashion collections for 2012.

Since the commencement of New York Fashion Week, I visited style.com and Elle Magazine UK to see the highlights and pictures from the runway shows of each day.  It the idea for me to save and collect photos of outfits and accessories I liked, then go through them to see if I could identify potential trends for the upcoming spring.  I avoided reading the runway wrap-ups by the Tim Blanks' and other gurus of the fashion world as not to be influenced by their expert observations.

I will preface the the fashion collage previews below by reiterating I make no claims of being a fashionista. I'm no Jeanne Beker.  I may not know names of fabric, or how to pronounce some of the names of the designers listed, but I do know I love fashion and accessories for their beauty, creativity, and expressiveness.

You will also notice there are no photos from collections presented at Paris Fashion Week for reasons too long to explain here, but I will likely post some "Anke Fyne & Fab Favourites" in the upcoming weeks.

There was colour...

Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Mademoiselles de Moutard"
and colour...
Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Citrusy & Soft"
...and more colour!  I love the boldness and vibrancy of the ruby reds and lapis lazuli blues.
Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Semi-Precious Gems"
White was prevalent in many of the collections, especially in sophisticated two-piece suits.  Tailored pant were cropped just at the base of the calf, allowing full view of ankle strapped shoes, a signature trend for spring 2012. Wide leg trousers were elegant and ground grazing.

Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"White Delight"
I really liked some of the high-waited mid-drift baring top and bottoms. I'm not in my 20's and I haven't worn a size 0 since grade 3. To me, showing my belly button in a public place other than the beach is equivalent to seeing an 80 year old at a nudist beach; so I must say I like how some of the designers maintained youthfulness in their pret-a-porter ensembles by offering a sneak peak of the upper abdominals while keeping it classy with skirts lengths due south of the knee. 
Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Tummy Tuck"
Being rich and famous sure has its perks.  Unlike us common folk, they get first dibs on the "what's next" in fashion. Why wait when you can wear it now? Gwyneth Paltrow rocked the red carpet at the 2011 Emmy Awards in the Pucci dress pictured above (bottom, far right), which debuted at Milan's Spring 2012 fashion week.

Gwyneth Paltrow at 2011 Emmy Awards in Emilio Pucci
The Pucci number Gwyneth wore that night also embodied another upcoming trend of see-through silhouettes.

Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Peek-a-boo, I See Through"
Fabrics were soft and sheer, flowing with and away from the body.

Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Let it Flow"
If your not careful, you could definitely pull a "Britney" in one of these thigh high slitted garments.

Fashion Week: New York, London, Milan
"The Mile High Club"
 Outerwear had structure, clean lines, iridescent sheen and various prints.  Multi-functional coat dresses. I personally have a thing for hoodie coats (first pic, second row).  Perhaps there wasn't enought of them on the runways to establish them as a spring trend, but I like the style too much to care.

Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"Cover Me"
Fringes of all different lengths, embellished frocks from neckline to hemline.

Fashion Weeks: New York, London, Milan
"On the Fringe"
Stay tuned for more on handbags, shoes and other accessories!

No comments:

Post a Comment